Sunday, October 30, 2005

Entry point: Kathmandu






The flight from Jakarta to Kathmandu went through Bangkok. And even in Bangkok the mystery remain: so how cold is Kathmandu? Then we got suspicious, “why are those people wearing short sleeves?” And the answer is: because it is damned hot. Well, not damned hot. Excuse my french (no offence to the French) But it was hot. Even for tropical people like us. The other thing I remember about the airport was the long slow queue at the immigration. Let’s not talk about that shall we?

From the first time that I laid eyes on Kathmandu, the city was like any other major cities in developing countries: crowded, busy and buzzing with people wanted to get where they want ASAP. It’s an entry point and to me, let’s just leave it at that: an entry point then off to other places. And an exit point.

Wherever you go in Kathmandu, traffic is always packed, drivers impatiently honking yet people were not distracted (I was), and people are, excuse me, um, doing their 'business' on the side of the road.

Try fitting five people in a Kathmandu taxi (equivalent of an old Honda Live). We did once or twice. We even came up with a new advertisement slogan for the taxi: no more distance between us. Get the picture?

But Kathmandu does have what we call oases – places where we can chill and sip a cup of cappuccino (or black coffee) with ease. When you are on those oases, you too will forget about the bustling town around you. And it also has some very interesting shops including for travel, camping and trekking gears - but I especially love the pashmina, cashmere and those ethnic accessories, god give me strength!

I could not believe myself when I found such a lovely museum, Patan Museum, in the middle of the city. The Museum was amazing, the wooden classical design, the layout, the information provided. If only museums in Indonesia are like that.

Travel tips: If you have enough time, then travel light to Kathmandu, spend several days to do some shopping for your travel gears. Thamel market is a good place to get new or second-hand travel and trekking gears.

2 Comments:

Blogger Professor Smile said...

I really like your style of writing. You have transported me back and made me remember the things that probably stay constant even in a rapidly-changing place like Kathmandu! (Though you didn't mention dead dogs lying legs-up in the street! Maybe that doesn't happen so often now?)
I had so much trouble with Customs and Immigration at the airport, arriving by air from England in 1988. No such trouble arriving in 1986 at the border between Tibet and Nepal (Is it Tingri? I'm not sure)
Anyway, I am really enjoying reading your travel blog. It is confusing to me that Blogger put later entries first, since it makes more sense to read from the earliest entries onwards. Oh, well.

6:22 PM  
Blogger ardy notowidigdo said...

hey there...love to found out one of indonesian in there...

my name is ardy and my musician called simak Dialog have been invited by kathamandu jazz festival to take part in jazzmandu 2010...

our consist with

me, ardy
Riza Arshad
Tohpati
Endang Ramadhan
Aditya Pratama
etc.

we will play on 29,30,and 31 of october 2010
and hopefully everybody can attend the show...
we also looking forward if there is any invitation to play in kathmandu for indonesian people there..maybe in KBRI or etc.

just contact me if you need further information

regards,

ardy notowidigdo
+62 857 435 65 000
notowidigdo.ardy@gmail.com

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home